Monday, December 14, 2009

Adventures with Wild Rice

So while I was sitting in class on Tuesday, trying to figure out what to make for dinner, I remembered that I had purchased an acorn squash from Stop & Shop that needed to be eaten. So then it was just a matter of what to stuff it with. I found this recipe on epicurious and was intrigued because I had never made wild rice before. It turned out that the week that followed included many one-person meals, so I slowly made my way through an entire bag of wild rice.

The week began with this recipe for acorn squash stuffed with wild rice, craisins, and nuts. I added feta and mushrooms as well.

The next day for lunch, I remade the squash stuffing mixture with the leftover rice and added a poached egg, cucumbers and strawberries on top.

For a quick dinner, I made fried rice with the wild rice, asparagus, mushrooms, onions, sesame seeds, soy sauce, a couple of eggs and some agave nectar for sweetness.

Finally, I was delighted to discover this recipe for a dish that I had with my mother in downtown Minneapolis two and a half years ago at a restaurant called Hell's Kitchen. It's called Mahnomin Porridge. You simply mix cooked wild rice with heavy cream (I used half and half but it was still way too rich), maple syrup over medium heat until warm, and then add chopped, toasted hazelnuts and dried fruit. Optional: fresh fruit on top (although they don't serve it that way at the restaurant) - I added blackberries which were excellent. Unfortunately, I halved the recipe but forgot to half the amount of nuts, so it was a very crunchy dish, but delicious nonetheless.

No comments: