Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Food/Israel





So, the food and cooking experience here has been quite different than what I am used to. First of all, it's been difficult to find most of my staples- luna bars, kashi cereal, whole wheat tortillas, fresh spinach, chicken apple sausage (totz not kosher), any meat for that matter, goat cheese...all my faves are nowhere to be seen. Instead my dietary staples have been whole wheat pita, cucumbers, turkey, hummus, dried fruits and nuts and seeds, and apples. The dates and figs here are incredible, as well as the tomatoes, avocados and apples. So many apples. The shuk at Machaneh Yehudah is incredible- as you can see above- a total culinary heaven- and this doesn't even give you a sense of the atmosphere...
This is the quantity of food they serve at your typical restaurant. It's insane- literally 22 different salads with fresh pita and pickles. That's all you really need to eat when you go out anyways- we barely order anything else.


We can buy alcohol legally here! But we can't technically get into most bars/clubs that we want to- they're usually 24 and up...how ironic, right as i'm turning 21, I go to the only country where you have to be 24.
Gotta love the English translations of the menus...I think I'd much rather just eat the chicken without knowing what it really was...

No comments: