Thursday, October 15, 2009

3 day 3 way Ginger Pear Cake

This cake literally took 3 days the first time I made it. Of course, my mom figured out how to make the "quickie" version in about an hour; she swears it's not as good but I don't believe her. This cake uses three types of ginger: candied, fresh and ground.


On the first day, I made ginger cookies from scratch. They were delicious but we couldn't eat them. That is because they were required for the crust.

The second day, I poached pears in a poaching liquid that involved cinnamon sticks, vanilla beans, orange juice, a lemon, and white sugar. They had to sit overnight.

On the third day, I made the cake. We think there was a typo in the book because this cake should really be served with the pear side up, but I swear the cookbook said to serve the crust on top...either way, I slightly overcooked it and there you go- 3 days of work...was it worth it?

No comments: