Saturday, November 7, 2009

Butternut Squash Rissotto with Chicken




When my good friend Josh came to town, I was hoping to impress him with my new skillz...unfortunately I somehow managed to produce my first dinner disaster. I'm aware that I inherited the rice curse from my mother (we can't make rice), but tried to ignore and attempted my first ever risotto. Well, long story short, the rice on the bottom of the pan burnt pretty early on, giving the rest of the dish plenty of time to absorb the wonderful "smoky bbq flavor" as Josh kindly put it. I guess I'll have to stick with the fool-proof 20 minute Basmati rice-in-microwave method until someone shows me how to do risotto. Also, this dish would have been better if I had put in the effort to roast my own squash instead of using the canned kind. I'm not gonna link the recipe, because I'm holding it at partial fault, seeing as I followed it as carefully as I could.

It looked good at least! And as my mother always says, "Appeal is half the meal!"
Fortunately, the rest of the meal was both appealing AND delicious. (That's because I made the simplest asparagus recipe ever: roast asparagus on a baking sheet with LOTS of olive oil and salt for 20 minutes, turning over once--- and Josh brought CHOCOLATE CHIP CHALLAH(!!!!) from New York.

No comments: