Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Travel Food Pics: Around the Kfar-East Jerusalem, Eilat

I LOVED studying abroad in Israel, but living in East Jerusalem wasn't great. We had a nice apartment but no oven, microwave, blender, toaster...you name it. I had to make do with only a stove. Can you imagine. It meant basically eating this for lunch every day:Quinoa with frozen spinach and a poached egg with zaatar and smoked paprika.

or this:
Shakshuka!! Basically a freshly made tomato sauce with eggs poached in it and cheese and herbs on top- eaten in a pita.


But we did have some cute birthday parties, considering all my roommates were Spring babies:
And I learned how to make some killer date treats. Simply melt some milk with some semi-sweet dark chocolate. Replace the date's pit with the melted chocolate and an almond and refrigerate for a couple of hours.



And thank god for French Hill Falafel. I'm not just saying this because I lived so close (2 minute walk from my apartment) but this was honestly the best falafel I've ever had. ever. I loved going on a run and ending it at French Hill. Defeating the purpose of the run? I think of it more as a fair trade.

And sometimes, well okay a lot of times, we sought refuge in other wonderful areas of the country.Such as beaches in Eilat where we sipped limonana (mint lemonade slushies) and chocolate milkshakes.
Or a bedouin tent where this Jack Sparrow look-alike named Tali made us pita from scratch and let us lounge in his tent in a food coma for hours afterwards.

No comments: